Private Flute Lessons
Our flute lessons are individual sessions for students ages 8 through adult.
Students learn the foundations of:
- Proper care and maintenance of their instruments
- Correct body posture and hand position
- Breathing techniques
- Tone production
- Aural skills, music theory, and music history
- Efficient practicing tools
- Warm-ups, scales, etudes, and challenging repertoire
- Creativity and musical interpretation
- Beginners to Advanced
- Lesson Length: 30 minutes are recommended for beginners, 45 or 60 minute lessons for intermediate to advanced
- Lesson times available Monday to Friday
- Minimum beginning age: 8
Request a Trial Lesson!
About Our Flute Teacher
Jessica Smith, Flute
Jessica Smith is an active flutist and flute teacher residing in the Greater Boston Area. She holds a master's degree in flute performance from Ithaca College and a bachelor's degree in flute performance from Eastern Michigan University.
Throughout her career, Jessica has been honored with music recognitions including: 2015 grant recipient for InertiaTwo from the Community Arts Partnership of Tompkins County, winner of the 2010 William Stewart Concerto Competition, winner of the 2011 Manilow Soloist Competition, and featured soloist at the Huron Valley Council for the Arts Recital. Jessica has performed with the Ithaca New Music Collective, Ithaca College Contemporary Ensemble, Ithaca College Symphony Orchestra, Cayuga Chamber Orchestra, and the Eastern Michigan University Symphony Orchestra and Wind Ensemble.
Alongside Nick Merillat, Jessica performs in the flute and percussion duo, InertiaTwo. The duo strives to promote the eclecticism of music available for flute and percussion by playing works new and old. InertiaTwo also aims to push the genre further through experimentation, composition, improvisation, and live electronic enhancement.
More information may be seen at her website, www.flutingwithjessica.com.